Tuesday 30 August 2011

Yet more Plant House


I am very fond of this area of Hidcote, hence why I keep babbling on about it! Right now it is a glorious spot to sit and recline, or even wander about investigating what’s in bloom or where exactly that pleasant scent is omitting from. This interest will then last all the way into the cold winter months when again it becomes a haven, sealed from the damp outside with glorious, glorious piping pumping out life-giving warmth! This is definitely one of my favourite parts of the garden and I reserve the right to jabber on about it again at some point in the near future!

Fuchsia arborescens on the left just hitting its second bloom of the year, next to the ‘somewhat vigorous’ Dahlia imperialis

A honey bee drinking in the gramophone blooms of Brugmansia

Tibouchina urvilleana

A fantastic climber, Lophospermum erubescens, that can be grown as an annual from seed each year

Another vigorous chap that will do from seed each year, Thunbergia gregorii

Orange-eyed Susan

6 comments:

Helen O'Donnell said...

I can just imagine the plant house this time of year, that low light and late summer sun! That Tibouchina tree blooms all along the streets of Oakland, California in January! Wasn't it also sporting a few blossoms at Hidcote last March?

Janet said...

Such intense colour, Bertie. We used to grow both the tibouchina (lost it when we moved) and the orange Susan in our last conservatory. We don't have the right conditions any more. I still think of Datura as Datura. I wish "they" wouldn't change the names!
What kind of heating is it?

Rosemary said...

Dear Bertie - I love Brugmansia or Angel's Trumpets, as I used to know them by, until I became better informed. I also like the delicate scent with lemony overtones that they give off in the early evening.

Wife, Mother, Gardener said...

It looks like a wonderful place to go to read your course books on a rainy say. Anything that helps with that is a blessing worth talking about!

Thanks for sharing.

coco said...

wonderful happy garden you have

Diane at My Cottage Garden said...

Hi Bertie. Life has gotten busy and I've been an absent-blogger. LOL. Lovely photos - I really enjoyed seeing the'orange-eyed Susan'.

Have a wonderful weekend,
Diane

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...