Wednesday 16 November 2011

Kiftsgate Court

Unfortunately, all good things must come to an end! Our final stop on the autumn garden tour was Hidcote’s beautiful neighbour, Kiftsgate Court. It’s only a five minute walk away, so we ambled down the hill and had a leisurely afternoon drinking in the great beauty of this wonderful garden. If you ever visit Hidcote it is truly worth dropping by here on the way home!

The Terrace, with some late-action lingering on in the four square beds

Thoroughly enjoyed this Geranium frothing over the clipped Box edging

White Sunk Garden

Looking back the other way, with some Gaura still working hard

Anemone hupehensis var. japonica 'Pamina'

The Water Garden is far too modern for my tastes, but you can’t help but admire the beautiful design. This view offered through a gap cut in the yew hedge is a masterstroke, giving you a jolt with a stark glimpse of the modern world before you turn back to the old cosy romance of a Cotswold country garden

View down to the Lower Garden and beyond looking on the Vale of Evesham toward Wales

Cotswold stone glory!

4 comments:

Janet said...

Another garden on my list,Bertie. I believe started by a woman friend of the owner of Hidcote. And there is a famous rose named Rosa filipes "Kiftsgate". I beleive it's a bit of a bully.
Lovely Cotswold stone. But I have to disagree about the water garden, I love its modern elegant lines.

Share my Garden said...

A case of good bones, I think, the Cotswold stone house and garden. Very lovely, although I think that the water garden does look rather like a swimming pool.

I've had a reply from St Lucia; the flower is a pink torch ginger (a name that I thought I would remember, but didn't!) I've added the info to my blog.

Anonymous said...

Agree with you on the pond thing, though very sturctured/designed and elegant, seems sort of out of place from the other photographs. Have always wanted to see Kiftsgate as our garden is covered with its name sake (nutter but lovely) rose. Thank you for the intro, will try to make it there next year.

Tatyana@MySecretGarden said...

These pictures are inspiring! The water garden reminded me of the Bloedel Reserve on Bainbridge island (Washington state). There, Prentice Bloedel, a pioneer in renewable resources and sustainability, and his wife Victoria's ashes are buried near the similar Reflection pond.
Thank you for the photographs!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...